- Trump announced McGahn’s departure on Wednesday
- He said McGahn would leave after what he wrote was the hopeful confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court
- McGahn has cooperated with special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigators
- Trump on Thursday pushed back on media reports that McGahn walked him back from axing Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Special Counsel Robert Mueller
- He said Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump weren’t involved in ‘pushing’ McGahn
- Trump misspelled ‘counsel,’ as he usually does
- Says he ‘liked’ McGahn
- White House counsel Don McGahn has cooperated with special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigators
- McGahn is a witness to an obstruction of justice probe, having spoken with Trump about his intentions when he fired FBI director James Comey
- The president’s daughter, Ivanka, complained about a New York Times story detailing the extent of McGahn’s cooperation
- However, a source said Ivanka didn’t leak a story that foreshadowed McGahn’s departure
- McGahn cooperated with Mueller with the consent of President Trump’s lawyers
- Trump insisted McGahn is ‘not a RAT’ after the report
- McGahn believed a story the day his departure was announced was put out by his critics
President Donald Trump angrily pushed back on media reports about his sudden announcement of White House counsel Don McGahn’s exit – and insisted his daughter Ivanka were not involved in his ouster.
He also said special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe – which includes an inquiry into possible obstruction of justice with McGahn as a key witness – wasn’t remotely a factor in the decision.
‘The Rigged Russia Witch Hunt did not come into play, even a little bit, with respect to my decision on Don McGahn!’ Trump tweeted Thursday morning.
Trump fired off a pair of tweets about the impending exit of McGahn, who has been by his side since his campaign and was witness to some of the most dramatic scenes of his presidency, such as decision to fire former FBI Director James Comey.
Trump also defended his daughter against a New York Times report that she had complained about an earlier story that detailed anger inside the White House against the extent of McGahn’s cooperation with special counsel Robert Mueller, as well as a suggestion that she was involved in a leak that helped precipitate Trump’s announcement of McGahn’s departure.
‘Ivanka Trump & Jared Kushner had NOTHING to do with the so called “pushing out” of Don McGahn. The Fake News Media has it, purposely,so wrong!’ Trump wrote.