- Three suspicious packages were sent in the mail to homes of Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Eric Holder; one was sent to CNN’s office in New York
- Secret Service intercepted the suspected bombs to political leaders
- CNN says that the suspicious device it received was addressed to John Brennan — even though the Obama-era official doesn’t work for the network
- Ivanka Trump said in a tweet: ‘There is no excuse—America is better than this’
- Vice President Mike Pence said: ‘These cowardly actions are despicable & have no place in this Country’
- President Trump said, ‘I agree wholeheartedly!’ in a retweet of Pence
- White House says the president is monitoring the threats and condemns the despicable acts of violence
- Everyone targeted so far is a political opponent of the president
- Trump has encouraged violence against the media and harassed CNN
- NYC Mayor Bill DeBlasio said in a blanket statement: Don’t encourage violence, don’t encourage hatred, don’t encourage attacks on media.
President Trump condemned the bomb threats against liberals in the strongest possible terms on Wednesday afternoon, declaring himself ‘extremely angry’ about the attempted violence against his political opponents and a news organization.
The person responsible for the ‘despicable acts’ will be brought to justice, he promised. ‘We will spare no resources or expense in this effort.’
‘In these times, We have to unify. We have to come together and send one very clear, strong unmistakable message that acts or threats of political violence or any kind have no place in the United States of America,’ he asserted. ‘This egregious conduct is abhorrent to everything we hold dear and sacred as Americans.’
Speaking immediately before him, first lady Melania Trump told attendees of the White House event, ‘We cannot tolerate those cowardly attacks, and I strongly condemn all who choose violence.’
The White House immediately condemned the attempted violence against Trump’s political rivals on Wednesday as suspicious packages were intercepted by the Secret Service en route to the residences of Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.
Both packages and a third one that was sent to CNN contained pipe bombs, law enforcement officials said.
A fourth one that was intended for former Attorney General Eric Holder but was sent to the wrong address was confiscated by the Secret Service as it was returned to the listed sender, the office of Democratic Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz.
Vice President Mike Pence and Ivanka Trump censured the bomb scares. Sarah Sanders also sent out a formal statement of condemnation on behalf of the White House.