- Trump has doubled down on his criticism of the 9th Circuit and intensified his attacks on Chief Justice Roberts
- In a Thanksgiving tweet on Thursday, he labeled the court a ‘total disaster’
- The president said it was ‘out of control’ and has a ‘horrible reputation’
- Their row began when Trump complained about judges being political
- He was angry at U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar, an Obama appointee who has blocked his attempt to ban illegal immigrants from applying for asylum
- Roberts weighed in, insisting that Tiger’s politics was irrelevant
President Trump launched another attack on the 9th Circuit on Thanksgiving and dismissed Chief Justice Roberts’ strong rebuke one day on from their extraordinary row over judicial independence.
Labeling the 9th Circuit a ‘complete and total disaster’ that is ‘out of control’, the president demanded judges not be allowed to ‘legislate security’ in his early morning attack on Thanksgiving.
The new criticism comes one day after the almost unprecedented row between the Supreme Court Chief Justice and the president of the United States following a strong rebuke from Roberts over Trump calling the 9th Circuit ‘Obama judges’.
The row began earlier this week when the president complained about a different judge, Obama-appointed US District Judge Jon Tigar, who has ruled against him in his attempt to stop illegal immigrants applying for asylum once they cross the border.
Tigar said the president’s ‘scope’ did not reach far enough for him to ‘rewrite’ immigration laws.