- Giuliani claimed Mueller had overseen a ‘corrupt and illegitimate’ investigation
- Alleged Mueller guilty of collusion for using Russian intelligence in Steele report
- Suggested investigation was staffed by Democrats and ‘people who hate Trump’
- Mueller wants to ask Trump about obstruction of justice but Giuliani is against it
- Claims the special counsel is trying to trick the president into lying under oath
- Giuliani also said Wednesday he believes the probe should end on September 1
Robert Mueller’s investigation will ‘blow up’ on his own team and lead to the special himself being investigated for ‘collusion’, President Trump’s lawyer Rudy Giuliani claimed on Wednesday.
Giuliani accused Mueller of relying on fake Russian intelligence meant to smear Trump, and suggested his investigation was so ‘corrupt and illegitimate’ it would lead to reforms on the scale of Watergate to stop it being repeated.
He then claimed the ex-FBI director ‘had no case’ and only wants the president to answer questions under oath so he could be tricked into a ‘perjury trap’.
Giuliani, who was speaking to Fox News’ Sean Hannity, began by accusing Mueller of relying on the ‘fake’ dossier compiled by ex-British spy Christopher Steele, which contained allegations of conspiracy between Trump’s campaign team and the Russian government.
‘This is a totally illegitimate investigation based on a report that was paid for by Hillary Clinton and the Democrats – perhaps the biggest illegality or collusion so far,’ he said.
Hannity then suggested the dossier contained fake Russian evidence that was itself intended to ‘influence the election’ by smearing Trump.
‘Maybe if Mueller and his band of Democrats were fair minded maybe they’d investigate – maybe that’s the collusion,’ Giuliani replied.